Saturday, October 5, 2013

On Swords & Wizardry Complete Hardcover

Last Sunday, I ordered the Swords & Wizardry hardcover direct from Frog God Games. It arrived today, the following Saturday. Talk about service.

I've been playing S&W for a few years, starting with the WhiteBox and Core books from Lulu. When Complete was released back in 2010, for me, it jumped to the front of the S&W pack where it was competitive with other games that I like such as Castles & Crusades, feature-wise anyway.

While Complete saw a lot of play at the table, I didn't feel compelled to get the physical book. Then along came the S&W Kickstarter with the Errol Otis cover. Oh, boy. Barely. Held. Out.

I was hoping that the book would show up at my local game store. No such luck. Finally, I asked if they could get it in. Nope. So, off I went to the Frog God website and placed my order.

A year after the Kickstarter that tempted me so, Complete was finally on my doorstep.

It exceeds all expectations.

6 comments:

  1. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how it compares to C&C, I've played a ton of C&C but don't own S&W Complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Core covers territory seen in Monsters & Treasure, and a few small slices of the Castle Keeper's Guide.

    Here's a rundown of Core's table of contents:

    * Players Section
    - Creating a Character
    -- Attributes
    -- Classes
    -- Multiclassing
    -- Races
    -- Alignments
    -- Equipment
    -- Armor Class
    -- Weight and Movement

    - How to Play
    -- Gaining Experience
    -- Time
    -- Saving Throws

    - Combat
    -- Initiative and Order of Battle
    -- The Attack Roll
    -- Attack Tables
    -- Specific Situations
    -- Turning the Undead
    -- Damage and Death
    -- Healing
    -- Morale
    -- Quick Method for Ascending AC Combat

    - Gameplay Example

    - High Level Adventuring
    -- The Stronghold
    -- Hiring Followers

    - Magic
    -- Magical Research

    - Spell Lists/Descriptions

    * Referee Section
    - Introduction
    - Designing an Adventure
    - Dungeon Adventures
    - Wilderness Adventures
    - Special Combat Rules
    -- Mass Combat
    -- Siege Combat
    -- Aerial Combat
    -- Ship Combat

    - Monsters
    -- Reading the Monster Descriptions
    -- Monster Descriptions
    -- Monsters by Challenge Level
    -- Creating Monsters

    - Treasure
    -- Generating a Random Treasure Hoard
    -- Magic Items

    - Blank Character Sheet


    Here's a breakout of what classes are included:
    * Assassin
    * Cleric
    * Druid
    * Fighter
    * Magic-User
    * Monk
    * Paladin
    * Ranger
    * Thief

    Of course, there's nothing like the Siege Engine in S&W Complete but, the tinkerer in me likes that:

    Roll a D6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the rundown, I'm seriously considering picking this up. I don't see bard listed, my wife prefers to play bards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. It's a very well done book, both physically and content-wise.

    The S&W Companion bard has seen use at our table.

    I've also been pondering the "OSR Bard". It's an interesting take. With a bit of tinkering to mesh with 'Roll A D6' it'd be ready to roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! One more question, does S&W Complete do the Race as Class thing or does it open things up more like in C&C?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's kind of in between. Races are distinct from class, though, by the book, not all classes are available to all races. Dwarven PCs must be Fighters or Fighter-Thieves.

    Or there may be a level limit. For example, Halflings are capped at 4th level if a Fighter while there is no limit if they are a Thief.

    ReplyDelete